System Requirements

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Apr 2 19:48:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

The docs team has begun assembling release notes for Fedora 19, and I've
been thinking over hardware requirements.

Historically, we have cited the CPU, storage, and especially memory
requirements for the default installation - a basic GNOME desktop.  After
checking in with the anaconda team, and dropping into Monday's QA meeting,
I think this merits some discussion.

I have started a thread on the development list to gather input on the kind
of roles we'd like to represent, and urge you to share your thoughts
there.  However, establishing a set of use cases is only the first part of
the effort; we still need the figures.

Here's where things get sticky.   There is a clear benefit from providing
these kind of guidelines to our user base, but I *don't* want the effort to
come as a burden to the QA team.

I'm hoping there's room in the QA process to provide guidance and perhaps
validation of hardware requirements. Your thoughts?

-- Pete Travis
- Fedora Docs Project Leader
- 'randomuser' on freenode
- immanetize at fedoraproject.org