Anaconda issues with TC4

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 12:31:55 UTC 2013

In short, I've not let this version of Anaconda perform an actual
installation. The list of how it wanted to modify my partitions appeared
too dangerous to me to let it continue.

Install scenario: Fedora-19-Alpha-TC4-x86_64-DVD.iso on USB stick, which
differs from my usual DVD image on HDD installations.

I examined custom partitioning, so I could give feedback on bug 883138.
My plan was _not_ to create any partitions, but just to reuse existing
ones from an older installation of Fedora and a couple of shared ones as
used for custom mount-points below /mnt and autofs.

1) In order to be able to reuse my existing LUKS /home, I needed to look
it up in the "unknown" section and enter the passphrase to unlock it. So
far so good, but then it disappeared from the "unknown" section. I had to
search for it again, this time in the several sections for existing
installations. Only then I could define a mount-point for it.

2) As a side-effect of 1) but not limited to /home, when I added a
mount-point for an existing partition/volume, Anaconda messed up the
defails it displays about it.  For example, I have a partition labelled
"distimages" mounted on /mnt/distimages, and once I entered mount-point
/mnt/distimages to use this storage place also for the new F19
installation, Anaconda no longer called it "Distimages" but "ext2" for the
currently open installation entry. Some mouse-clicks later, eventually it
would return to the name "Distimages" everywhere.

3) Occasionally, and temporarily, a yellow "Please enter a valid mount-point"
warning at the bottom appeared. No idea when or why. I didn't spend any
time on that, because the warning didn't make sense in the context of what
I did on that screen. Whenever I had to enter a mount-point, I did enter
a valid one, and I even clicked "Update Settings". In case the warning gets
displayed also when "just looking", that doesn't make sense.

4) Points 1-3 made me curious, so I changed my mind and clicked '+' to try
creating a new partition. In LVM mode. I entered mount-point '/' and
capacity '20 GB'. The volume group (with plenty of free space) was chosen
automatically. When returning to the main screen to begin installation,
Anaconda warned me that it would "resize / ..." two of the reused logical
partitions. Why does it want to do that? Is it related to clicking
"Update Settings" earlier?