Anaconda issues with TC4

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Fri Apr 5 15:59:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 14:31 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> In short, I've not let this version of Anaconda perform an actual
> installation. The list of how it wanted to modify my partitions appeared
> too dangerous to me to let it continue.
>
> Install scenario: Fedora-19-Alpha-TC4-x86_64-DVD.iso on USB stick, which
> differs from my usual DVD image on HDD installations.
>
> I examined custom partitioning, so I could give feedback on bug 883138.
> My plan was _not_ to create any partitions, but just to reuse existing
> ones from an older installation of Fedora and a couple of shared ones as
> used for custom mount-points below /mnt and autofs.
>

> 1) In order to be able to reuse my existing LUKS /home, I needed to look
> it up in the "unknown" section and enter the passphrase to unlock it. So
> far so good, but then it disappeared from the "unknown" section. I had to
> search for it again, this time in the several sections for existing
> installations. Only then I could define a mount-point for it.

This is pretty much working as designed since unlocking the encryption
allowed us to identify it and make it's role(s) no longer unknown.
Whether or not to auto-select it after unlocking it is tricky -- what if
you wanted to unlock all of your encrypted PVs, for example, instead of
a single encrypted device containing a filesystem?

> 2) As a side-effect of 1) but not limited to /home, when I added a
> mount-point for an existing partition/volume, Anaconda messed up the
> defails it displays about it.  For example, I have a partition labelled
> "distimages" mounted on /mnt/distimages, and once I entered mount-point
> /mnt/distimages to use this storage place also for the new F19
> installation, Anaconda no longer called it "Distimages" but "ext2" for the
> currently open installation entry. Some mouse-clicks later, eventually it
> would return to the name "Distimages" everywhere.

You should open a bug for this including anaconda.log as an attachment
of type text/plain.

> 3) Occasionally, and temporarily, a yellow "Please enter a valid mount-point"
> warning at the bottom appeared. No idea when or why. I didn't spend any
> time on that, because the warning didn't make sense in the context of what
> I did on that screen. Whenever I had to enter a mount-point, I did enter
> a valid one, and I even clicked "Update Settings". In case the warning gets
> displayed also when "just looking", that doesn't make sense.

You should open a bug for this including anaconda.log as an attachment
of type text/plain.

> 4) Points 1-3 made me curious, so I changed my mind and clicked '+' to try
> creating a new partition. In LVM mode. I entered mount-point '/' and
> capacity '20 GB'. The volume group (with plenty of free space) was chosen
> automatically. When returning to the main screen to begin installation,
> Anaconda warned me that it would "resize / ..." two of the reused logical
> partitions. Why does it want to do that? Is it related to clicking
> "Update Settings" earlier?

You should open a bug for this including /tmp/anaconda.log
and /tmp/storage.log as an attachments of type text/plain.

Thanks.