Anaconda issues with TC4

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 18:16:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:59:04 -0500, David Lehman wrote:

> > 1) In order to be able to reuse my existing LUKS /home, I needed to look
> > it up in the "unknown" section and enter the passphrase to unlock it. So
> > far so good, but then it disappeared from the "unknown" section. I had to
> > search for it again, this time in the several sections for existing
> > installations. Only then I could define a mount-point for it.
>
> This is pretty much working as designed since unlocking the encryption
> allowed us to identify it and make it's role(s) no longer unknown.
> Whether or not to auto-select it after unlocking it is tricky -- what if
> you wanted to unlock all of your encrypted PVs, for example, instead of
> a single encrypted device containing a filesystem?

Could the installer notify the user about the list of new volumes it found
after unlocking a LUKS device?

> > 2) As a side-effect of 1) but not limited to /home, when I added a
> > mount-point for an existing partition/volume, Anaconda messed up the
> > defails it displays about it.  For example, I have a partition labelled
> > "distimages" mounted on /mnt/distimages, and once I entered mount-point
> > /mnt/distimages to use this storage place also for the new F19
> > installation, Anaconda no longer called it "Distimages" but "ext2" for the
> > currently open installation entry. Some mouse-clicks later, eventually it
> > would return to the name "Distimages" everywhere.
>
> You should open a bug for this including anaconda.log as an attachment
> of type text/plain.

bug 949056

> > 3) Occasionally, and temporarily, a yellow "Please enter a valid mount-point"
> > warning at the bottom appeared. No idea when or why. I didn't spend any
> > time on that, because the warning didn't make sense in the context of what
> > I did on that screen. Whenever I had to enter a mount-point, I did enter
> > a valid one, and I even clicked "Update Settings". In case the warning gets
> > displayed also when "just looking", that doesn't make sense.
> >

> You should open a bug for this including anaconda.log as an attachment
> of type text/plain.

Not yet reported, because of the additional time requirements also
with regard to paying attention to those warnings.

> > 4) Points 1-3 made me curious, so I changed my mind and clicked '+' to try
> > creating a new partition. In LVM mode. I entered mount-point '/' and
> > capacity '20 GB'. The volume group (with plenty of free space) was chosen
> > automatically. When returning to the main screen to begin installation,
> > Anaconda warned me that it would "resize / ..." two of the reused logical
> > partitions. Why does it want to do that? Is it related to clicking
> > "Update Settings" earlier?
>
> You should open a bug for this including /tmp/anaconda.log
> and /tmp/storage.log as an attachments of type text/plain.

bug 949053

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc5.git1.301.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.30 0.20 0.20