Working around gnome-initial-setup?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 6 16:36:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 08:44:26 -0700,
   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>On 06/04/13 08:24 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>gnome-initial-setup seems to be getting run if gdm is active (as opposed
>>to say kde) even when you have used gnome in the past and before you
>>even can select whether you are going to login to a gnome session. I
>>tried a simple disable with systemctl but that didn't help. Is there a
>>settings key to keep this from happening?
>>I can switch back to kdm for normal use, but I wanted to test using
>>llvmpipe for gdm.
>
>The service 'touches' a file in /var somewhere, if you look at it. I
>figure that it only runs if that file exists, and it's supposed to be
>wiped after one run. If it's not getting wiped in your case for some
>reason, try wiping it manually.

Thanks. That should be enough to help me find it.

I haven't run completely through it because I didn't want to create new
accounts. Also I had been using gnome on these machines until fallback
mode was dropped, so it's not like it made sense to even run
gnome-initial-setup. It probably also doesn't make sense to run that
if you are using gdm but don't want to use gnome (right away). There should
be a way to bypass it. It would seem to me it would make more sense for it
to run the first time you login to a gnome session, not the first time
you boot a machine.