p7zip-plugins and rar extraction.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Apr 16 21:18:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 15:58:49 -0500,
   Kevin Martin <ktmdms at gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the info.  It seems strange that because the folks at RAR don't want 7zip to be able to *create* RAR archives that
>Redhat/Fedora has to remove even the ability to extract RAR archives with 7z.  Not being a programmer I guess I don't get how hard
>it would be to hobble allowing creation while still allowing extraction.

We can't use the code because it isn't free. It has use restrictions.
Someone would have to write an unrar from scratch with a free license
for it to get into Fedora.

A better solution would be to discourage people from using rar in the
first place.

If you just want to be unable to run unrar, you can get it from rpmfusion.