[F19Alpha] No gdm without "nomodeset"

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:39:16 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I'm running a Fedora 19 Alpha, up to date as of today (22/04/2013).

I cannot get gdm to run without using "nomodeset" on the grub command
line. The fedora bubble comes up okay, but then it switches to the
verbose display mode, blinks a few times and just stays there. Adding
"nomodeset" makes it boot with the tri colour horizontal scroll plymouth
theme.

This is what Xorg.log said[1] when gdm failed to come up. This is
Xorg.0.log with "nomodeset"[2].

My laptop just came back from repairs. To confirm my hardware was OK, I
used the Fedora 18 Desktop live, which seemed to come up okay, with
correct resolution. The Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-19-Alpha-1.iso also
seems to run OK. Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-19-Alpha-TC6-1.iso doesn't
see gdm come up though. It gets stuck at the Fedora bubble (I'm going to
double check this, just to be sure the usb was prepared correctly).
Here's the output from fpaste --sysinfo[2]. My graphics card seems to be
detected correctly in lspci. Xorg.log says that the nouveau module is
loaded fine too.

Is anyone else seeing this? What more information would you suggest I
collect before filing a bug against X(or another component?

[1] http://ur1.ca/dh4uh
[2] http://ur1.ca/dh4yf
[3] http://ur1.ca/dh4x2
--