Dealing with critical bugs in final releases

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 22 17:18:01 UTC 2013

On 22/04/13 09:09 AM, Michael Spahn wrote:
> Thank your for your detailed feedback.
>
> Is there any special group with a focus on testing anaconda?

That would be us. Testing anaconda is probably 50% of what we do.

> I think that just happened due to a lack of physical hardware to test
> Fedora 18. :-/

We do an awful lot of testing on an awful lot of physical hardware. But
it's impossible to either test a release on all possible hardware, or to
adopt as a policy that we don't ship anything if there's any hardware on
which it doesn't work. I doubt anyone has ever released an operating
system which works on all PC hardware.

> If I got your point right it's also no option to just update to the
> latest anaconda (for example) and use the same packages like the first
> spin?

You can do that with a live install, and using an updates image - as
documented in the bug and on the commonbugs page - is the equivalent for
non-live installs.

For a network-related bug like this, it's likely better to source the
updates image from a local device - USB stick would be easiest - than
from the network.

It's very easy to propose releasing new spins, but it's much harder to
actually do it. It would suck up a bunch of release engineering and QA
time, because each re-spin would have to go through the same
spin/validate/re-spin/validate/release process that any Fedora release
goes through. It is not a trivial effort.