Fedora 19 on 386

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 23 06:38:02 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-22 22:23 (GMT-0700) John Reiser composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2013-04-22 19:24 (GMT-0400) Fernando Cassia composed:

>>> I remember Pentium III machines came from the USB 1.x era, not USB 2.0.
>>> So likely your BIOS won't allow you to boot from a USB-anything port
>>> using "mass storage devices".

>> PIII predates USB2 by only about a year, while USB2 predates P4 by about 7 months. Thus, a PIII system may or may not have USB2 support on the motherboard.

>> BIOS boot from USB support came much later, 2004 if Wikipedia is correct.

> When the BIOS cannot boot using USB2.0, then in most cases the installer itself
> can be booted using a bootstrap procedure.  There are many ways.

I wasn't attempting to address anything other than the previous USB / PIII
comment. Most of my Linux installs regardless of distro are begun by loading
an installation kernel and initrd using Grub from HD boot and installing via
HTTP. For pre-release distro versions it's really wasteful to download a
whole DVD or even full CD sized iso first when likely only a fraction of its
content will be used, and won't be used more than once before obsolete.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/