Revised Beta criteria up

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 17:23:14 UTC 2013

On 24/04/13 01:18 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 04/24/2013 05:08 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Just a heads-up, folks - I completed the Beta criteria revisions,
>> following the general model from Alpha (as previously discussed in
>> thread "Major criteria re-write / re-design proposal"), and put the
>> revised version into place just in time for tomorrow's first Beta
>> blocker review meeting. Of course, please call out any errors /
>> omissions etc!
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_19_Beta_Release_Criteria
>
> Kickstart delivery section needs some clarification as in "'Available'
> defined by installer team" we should display there what are the valid
> and supported combination of options

The problem I have with that is we're then more or less duplicating the
kickstart documentation. Ideally we should link to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_6._Making_the_Kickstart_File_Available
and it should contain the necessary info, and be accurate. I guess I'll
add a link to it at least. Then we should update that wiki page.

> The recommend part should be stripped out of "virtualization technology"
> since we should cover both KVM and XEN ( we ship both )

We ship lots of stuff that we don't block releases for. Just the fact
that we ship it doesn't mean we must block the release on it. We cover
Xen in the Final criteria, at present, and only as DomU, not Dom0. In
theory it might be nice to have the 'virtualization' criteria combined,
but as one is Beta and one is Final and the extent of functionality
covered is different, it seems hard from a practical point of view.

> Xen even shares "Fedora-virt-preview.repo" and you use the
> libvirt/virt-tools for it
>
> It would be good for us to track down who recommend only kvm and cite
> that if we are going to be "recommending" it

Good point, I'll see if I can trawl through the archives and add
something to the references.

> "Release-blocking desktops must notify the user of available updates,
> but must not do so when running as a live image. "
>
> "but must not do so when running as a live image." <--- makes no sense
> and should be removed

Er? It makes perfect sense. We don't want to encourage people to run a
system update when booting live; this will just result in RAM
exhaustion. So we disable the update checks in the boot scripts of the
live image kickstarts.

> For F20 we should start looking into adding containers ( libvirt lxc )
> to the beta criteria along with test cases for it

Why do you pick out containers in particular? Is this a particularly
important area of functionality for the future?

Thanks for the feedback!