f19alpha, hang "booting a command list"

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Fri Apr 26 02:08:30 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 06:44 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I'm stumped on how to get more information during the boot process. At this point I don't have enough information to file a bug.
>
> F18 works OK on this computer. Even with 3.9 kernels with a regression related to fb or nouveau, I still get kernel messages during boot. But not with F19 alpha. When I remove 'quiet rhgb' parameters when booting, all I get is  "Booting a command list" and then nothing, just that same text on a black background. The light on the USB stick flashes for about 1.5 minutes, then stops. And the computer gets really hot, and the fans eventually shoot up to max and the thing sounds like a hairdryer.
>
> I've tried two USB sticks. And the image has been verified with sha256.

What does "lspci -nn" say, particularly for the video graphics card?
What does F18 say in syslog /var/log/messages regarding any 'conflict's
in address space during initialization of the linux kernel?

If the box has a serial port, then connect a null modem cable
between the serial port and the serial port on another machine.
On the other machine run 'minicom' and turn on logging: <Ctrl>A Z L
On the problem box, append " console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0" to the
boot command line, and boot.  See linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt.