deja-dup

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 6 06:45:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 22:31 -0800, Richard Vickery wrote:
> If it happened to you, Adam, as well, I wonder if it might be a bug?
> Does if happen to others? Being somewhat ignorant, I thought the
> problem was me and how I installed it, which is why I brought it up.
> It would be interesting to find out the randomness of this thing.

I'd want to get a bit more useful info before filing a bug - that's why
I didn't file one before, never quite budgeted the time to at least
reproduce it while running shell from a console, or something like that
- but yeah, if we can confirm we're more or less seeing the same thing,
it would be worth filing with data.

> Unrelated question: If you add the initial of your last name rather
> than the full name, it seems that you don't like your name. I know why
> woman do it - to free themselves from patriarchy, but why do men do
> it?

Oh, nothing so dramatic. I've used "adamw" as my personal signature for
many many years now (I wrote that last mail on my phone, and forgot to
switch signatures). I use "adamw" as my online id generally for
everything I can; I'd be adamw at redhat if it had been available (it
wasn't and I'm not, so don't mail me there :>). When it's not, I usually
use "adamwill", which is my fedora id. I guess "adamw" / "adamwill" is
my online nickname, simply enough; unlike a lot of people I was too
boring/unimaginative to ever come up with some kind of alternative
online ID.

'adamwilliamson' is a bit long for such contexts (and I started using
'adamw' back in the days when lots of things were still 8 character
maximums). That's all there is to it =) Sometimes I hand-edit a sig with
my full name in it, when writing to newspapers and things like that. But
for anything casual and non-work-y, it's just 'adamw'. :P

(very VERY early in my internet career I had a much longer and more
ornate sig, then I decided it was too showy and decided to go
minimalist, and I've stuck with it ever since. On what I think was my
very first post to a public newsgroup I attached a 'sig' that was two
pages long and ten times as long as my post, and promptly got about
sixteen lessons in netiquette (which people still talked about back
then) by return of post. ahh, the good times...Google Groups probably
has that post archived, if you want to go digging for it.)