Who can close BZs?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 6 21:14:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-06 at 16:03 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-12-06 at 15:28 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> >
> >> All of the above is fine.  However, your are exhibiting profound
> >> arrogance in stepping in for real fedora managers/developers.  Do your
> >> RFEs and your own bzs, but, leave other peoples bz reports alone.
> >
> > You are assuming a policy that does not exist. I don't believe there is
> > any rule or policy which Chris' closure of your bug violated.
> >
> > As someone said upthread, Fedora is intentionally not hedged around with
> > *too* many hard and fast rules. There are various statuses in FAS which
> > translate into 'editbugs' privileges - which allow you to close others'
> > bugs - and it's generally not considered a problem for people with
> > editbugs privileges to do something like this.
> >
> > If Chris' change had actually been completely wrong, that might have
> > been a problem, and the appropriate thing to do would be to reverse it,
> > and then keep an eye out to make sure he wasn't repeatedly doing silly
> > things, or just trolling, or something. At the point where someone
> > exhibits a pattern of bad behaviour, then is the time when we get
> > together as a group and say 'hmm, maybe something should be done about
> > this'. But no, there is no rule that says 'Chris can't close a bug Clyde
> > filed against anaconda'.
> >

> It is ungentlemanly

This seems an entirely irrelevant consideration, this is not a
gentlemen's club.

>  and discourteous.  What is wrong with a
> person-to-person discourse first.

Bug trackers are not forums. They are tools for tracking bugs. This bug
was correctly tracked. 'Discourse' is not required.

>   There are no rules for that either,
> just well-accepted social norms.

In my experience, the norm with bugtrackers is just what Chris did. We
try to make Fedora a welcoming environment, but it is also an
engineering project, and engineers tend not to be fans of efficiency
over unnecessary discussion. As I keep saying: you would get much more
traction with your complaint if Chris' decision had been _wrong_. Since
it's correct, I'm not sure anyone's going to see much of a problem with
it. Correctness is highly valued in collaborative development
communities like Fedora.