Multi-head intel and nvidia configuration fails 100%

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 8 13:59:07 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-08 07:55 (GMT-0500) flashl at dailybrood.com composed:

> I'm using latest drivers: xorg-x11-drv-intel (2.21.15-5.fc20) and
> xorg-x11-drv-nouveau (1:1.0.9-2.fc20) on a host with gpus: Integrated
> Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia geforce 9500GT
> Chipset: "NVIDIA NV96".

> An empty xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d directory will fail 100%.  Only a
> standalone intel or nouveau conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory

In my experience, 50-device.conf is not enough. I've always needed
coordinated 50-monitor.conf and 50-screen.conf files as well.

> will successfully present a Gnome login screen.  I've tested various
> conf files using different scenarios and also submitted abrt reports
> since Graphics Test week.

> I'm a willing labrat if anyone got any suggestions.

I'm not sure I know what 100% failure means. Are you getting no output from
either nv or intel if attempting to have both configured via xorg.conf*? Even
on the ttys and booting with 3 on cmdline, then using startx after login? Did
it work OK with F19? Have disabling plymouth and/or unquieting boot been
tried? Is behavior entirely using DVI, or VGA, or only a certain mix? Do your
displays have both DVI/HDMI/Displayport and VGA inputs available for trying
different combinations? Have you tried all (4? 6?) BIOS PEG/PCI settings?

One of my test systems has 4000 DVI and VGA on the motherboard, and I have a
dual DVI out GT8400 I install in its PCIe slot as testing circumstances
require, so later or tomorrow I could try what you've tried here to see if I
get matching behavior, or better (except I only use KDM, which may or may not
make any difference).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/