Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 02:05:54 UTC 2013

It was clear at the Go/No-Go meeting today that KDE SIG does not
consider this release criterion applicable/desired:

"All applications that can be launched using the standard graphical
mechanism of a release-blocking desktop after a default installation of
that desktop must start successfully and withstand a basic functionality
test."

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Final_Release_Criteria#Default_application_functionality

jreznik says they consider the live image their 'polished product' where
everything must work, while the DVD install is more of a grab-bag - they
install a whole bunch of stuff, and don't think it's the end of the
world if one or two bits are broken.

Given that, I propose re-wording as follows:

"All applications that can be launched using the standard graphical
mechanism of a release-blocking live image after an installation of that
image must start successfully and withstand a basic functionality test."

So, that doesn't just apply to KDE. True, but I actually think it's a
reasonable revision for GNOME as well. It makes sense to see the live
images as defining what our 'polished core desktops' consist of, and the
DVD as more of a grab-bag of packages. The lives will (should) always
contain the bits the desktop SIGs think are absolutely key pieces of the
desktop. And I think we could generally do with a bit of criteria
watering-down; we're starting to do a lot of fudges and waives, which
indicates the criteria are currently too tight for us to realistically
enforce. Things are better when we can stand solidly behind the criteria
without fudging stuff.

CCing KDE and desktop lists. If folks feel that we should restrict this
change to KDE only, please do yell, but I'm kinda liking the simple
version.