RC1/1.1 virtual tty switching broken

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 02:13:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 17:07 -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> In previous Fedora versions one could switch to
> a console tty with Ctrl-Alt F2 or whatever.
> Alt-F1 or some such would return to the X-Windows.
> It is apparently no longer possible to return to X.
>
> Workaround:  Install Nvidia driver from rpmfusion
> then Ctrl-Alt-F1 works as usual.

Works fine here. There would be a huge riot on the lists and forums if
this was broken for everyone; I conclude that it isn't.

Note that X runs on tty1 in most Fedora configs, so ctrl-alt-f1 from the
graphical desktop will do nothing, because you're trying to switch to
the tty you're on. X-on-tty7 was the historical 'standard' and you may
still be expecting that, I guess, but it changed on Fedora several
releases ago.