RC1 and UEFI

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 10:44:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 02:02 -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 16:49 -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> >> Could you be more specific about what information you need
> >> and how I might get this information?
> > In your initial description you wrote "Anaconda cannot modify
> > the hard drive when booted UEFI." This is a somewhat odd description,
> > and impossible to interpret without more details. What exactly do you
> > mean by it? Can you please describe, in detail and from start to finish,
> > what you did and what happened, rather than a cryptic one-liner? And,
> > ideally, post the usual anaconda debugging logs - anaconda.log ,
> > program.log , storage.log etc etc from a failed install attempt. Thanks.

> The first thing I do when the Anaconda screen comes up
> is to select the hard drive and repartition it.  I select standard
> partitions and then custom partitioning.  When booting under
> UEFI Anaconda cannot modify the hard drive in any onbious
> way.

I still can't really understand what you mean by 'cannot modify the hard
drive in any obvious way'. Are you saying it does not display any
existing partitions? Can you provide a screenshot or a precise
description of what you see, and how it looks different in a BIOS
install?

> Please provide the name of a command that sends the required
> files to Red Hat when this happens.

There actually is a somewhat obscure utility in anaconda that was meant
to do this, but I don't think it works any more. As long as you have a
network connection, you can just switch to ctrl-alt-f2, find the log
files in /tmp , and 'fpaste' or 'scp' them out.