Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 11:00:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 05:54 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> > Probably there are good reasons why the DVD is still here.
> Indeed!  There are environments/situations where there is no network
> connectivity (at least to the Internet) and never will be.  It is this
> type of situations that will require a DVD.
>
> Another situation is where I am installing into a qemu-kvm virtual
> system.  Yes, there will be Internet connectivity.  Yes, it is nice to
> have everything updated on install.  But, running with just the DVD
> image is a lot faster (takes much less wall-clock time).

Not that I necessarily agree with johann on this one, but he did say to
keep the netinst *and the lives*. Live installs work without a network
and are even faster than DVD installs in VMs.

> BTW, if a live image is suppose to represent "The" set for a desktop
> such as KDE, then that should be the same on the DVD.  But, if there
> really should be more than can fit on a live cdrom image, then why not
> change that to be a live DVD image.  After all, how many computers out
> only have a cdrom drive as oppose to a dvd drive capable of handling
> both cdroms and dvds?

We already gave up on CDs a couple of releases back. GNOME and KDE are
currently targeting 1GB (power-of-ten), but still have to cut stuff out
to make size. They can choose to go up to 2GB or higher if they like;
it's up to the SIGs to decide (at the start of a release cycle, of
course).