Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 20:36:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> It was clear at the Go/No-Go meeting today that KDE SIG does not
> consider this release criterion applicable/desired:
>
> "All applications that can be launched using the standard graphical
> mechanism of a release-blocking desktop after a default installation of
> that desktop must start successfully and withstand a basic functionality
> test."
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Final_Release_Criteria#Default_application_functionality
>
> jreznik says they consider the live image their 'polished product' where
> everything must work, while the DVD install is more of a grab-bag - they
> install a whole bunch of stuff, and don't think it's the end of the
> world if one or two bits are broken.
>
> Given that, I propose re-wording as follows:
>
> "All applications that can be launched using the standard graphical
> mechanism of a release-blocking live image after an installation of that
> image must start successfully and withstand a basic functionality test."
>
> So, that doesn't just apply to KDE. True, but I actually think it's a
> reasonable revision for GNOME as well. It makes sense to see the live
> images as defining what our 'polished core desktops' consist of, and the
> DVD as more of a grab-bag of packages.

No that makes zero sense. You solution is not a solution at all "we
found out that we ship random crap on the DVD that does not even start
up ... so lets pretend we don't know about it" ... the proper solution
(as others said) is to simply to *NOT* install random stuff by default
just because there is space on the media.

We should improve the software installation experience so that people
can easily find and install software they need (that's what we have
started to do in F20 which is a way better approach then "just install
tons of stuff by default").