Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Dec 14 07:51:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-14 at 07:31 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 18:49 -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>

> >> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Adam Williamson  wrote:
> >>

> >>         Well, then there's the problem. We can't have release criteria
> >>         that say
> >>         "we really stand behind the package sets installed from the
> >>         DVD" if we
> >>         don't.
> >>

> >> That is true however the solution is not to weaken the release
> >> criteria but decide  a) do we need the DVD anymore  b) if we need it,
> >> whether there is anything against trimming down the default package
> >> sets to be consistent with what is included in the live images.  With
> >> the new model, I think the right answer is to drop the DVD image
> >> entirely but b) is the minimum we should do.
> >
> > That requires will on the part of the desktop SIGs, though. QA is not
> > going to be responsible for this. My position is either the desktop SIGs
> > fix their stuff, or we will have to change the criteria as I proposed,
> > because what other choice do we have?
>
> Talk to FESCo ? Ask for them to remove the offending crap once we hit it?
> Or "if the app does not start and is not part of live kick it out".
> Its a one line change.

It still means we have to find time to actually test them all at some
point, which we don't have a great record of doing lately. See my notes
on the status of the KDE desktop_menus test case in F20.

It seems a bit bizarre to me that we'd wind up in a state which could be
described as "we'll install stuff from the DVD that we don't really care
about and have no idea if it works properly, until QA runs it and clicks
a button and it crashes. At that point we'll take it out." What?

Can we go back to my suggestion of increasing the size target for the
desktop lives, deciding what packages you actually _do_ want to have in
a default install of your desktops, and making the lives and DVDs both
install precisely that package set? It'd be good to know the desktop
team's take on that.