Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Dec 15 04:41:02 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-14 at 22:27 -0500, Richard Ryniker wrote:

> Has Fedora QA discussed how much effort they should or can invest in
> organization and facilitation of others' test activities?  Direct
> testing scales (approximately) linearly with number of people, but
> education, organization, and leadership has the potential to scale at
> greater multiples.
>
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | Great opportunity!  Become a Fedora test franchisee.  We'll provide   |
> | directions, training, and all the materials you need, so you too can  |
> | participate in this fast-moving field.  Gain experience, recruit      |
> | others, become a Test Manager and train new Testers.  With 10 or      |
> | more Testers, select your own Test Managers (each of whom will direct |
> | at least five Testers) and advance to the Test Director level.  With  |
> | five Test Managers, become a Test Executive...                        |
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

It's a cute idea, but I'm firmly of the opinion that stuff like this
just doesn't _work_ in a project like Fedora. It's a cliche that geeks
and engineers aren't huge fans of 'bureaucracy' and 'management', and
this is pure management - drawing up a nice little hierarchical org
chart and giving people job titles. Does the Test Executive get a corner
office and a nice chair? :) I kid, but you get the point. I don't know
of a F/OSS project which has a strict pyramid structure and cutesy job
titles like this, and that's for a reason: the whole "F/OSS is a
meritocracy / F/OSS is a do-ocracy" thing has its own problem of bias
and so on, but it is a _fairly_ accurate reflection of how F/OSS work
actually happens in one respect: it's mostly the case that the work is
done by the people who show up, and there usually isn't some kind of
obvious hierarchy like you describe. I mean, we don't have Test
Executives and Test Directors and Testers inside the QA group, so why
would we expect it to work for other groups to do it?

The general idea of trying to get other groups more involved in testing
their own stuff is obviously a good one, but I don't think that's the
right approach to achieve it :)