Proposal: let's just use the FAS group already

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 20:23:32 UTC 2013

Hi, folks. So this one keeps popping up for individual people, and we
keep doing a quick band-aid when anyone needs group membership...but we
may as well just bite the bullet and do it properly.

Fedora QA has always been pretty informally organized, we've generally
not wanted to build a big heavy organizational structure with
hierarchies and bits of paper to sign and stuff. One facet of this is
that we don't really have an 'official' Fedora QA FAS group. There is a
'qa' group in FAS, but it has very few members, and we haven't ever
worked on the assumption that the people in it are the 'real' QA people
or anything.

For our purposes we don't really have any incredible need for a QA group
in FAS, but there are some things in Fedora which require you to be a
member of a FAS group besides cla_signed - voting in some elections, for
instance, and getting a fedorapeople.org space. It seems unfortunate
that QA contributors don't get these things unless they get themselves
added to another group.

So I'm proposing we do something simple: let's just go ahead and stick
everyone who can reasonably be considered a 'QA team member' in the FAS
'qa' group. This wouldn't be hard to do, I can make sure sufficient
people within and outside RH have moderator status in the qa group, and
then those of us who are mods can just add people appropriately. Anyone
who files karma regularly, or validation test results, or posts to
test@, or attends QA team meetings, anything like that - let's just
stick 'em in QA group, and then for the future we can just say
'moderators can give anyone who's obviously a QA person membership in
the QA group at any time, and when someone sends a self-introduction
mail and doesn't completely disappear, the QA group mods should stick
that person in the group'.

How does that sound? Seems like something we can just get done already.

Right now me, James Laska, Will Woods and Jesse Keating are the admins
of the QA group. This is obviously a bit silly. I'll drop jlaska's,
wwoods' and jesses' admin roles, and make some more appropriate people
admins and moderators instead. I'll do that right now, since it's
clearly the right thing to do...