Proposal: let's just use the FAS group already

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 02:07:19 UTC 2013

Thank you for the summary Bob. I was necessary.

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 20:12 -0500, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> Let me make sure I have this correct. {I had to read 20+ emails to
> condense it, I may have missed something}
>
> PROBLEM STATEMENT: There exists and will continue to exist persons who
> participate in and assist the QA process in quantifiable ways.  These
> persons would like access to the fedorapeople space to assist them in
> assisting QA.  Presently access to fedorapeople space requires
> membership in an FAS Group other than CLA signed.

The entire project, including infra uses FAS groups to grant volunteers
access to various resources. I see no reason why QA shouldn't use this
too.

> ADAM'S SOLUTION:  Open up the presently mostly idle QA-FAS Group and
> add these people granting them fedorapeople access.

+1 for this.

> JOHANN'S OBJECTION: The group was idled eons past for valid reasons
> {not elaborated, but still valid} and ressurecting the group is not
> advisable.

I haven't found the reasons. Unfortunately, I really don't have the time
to go through the archives and hunt them down. A one sentence summary
would be helpful :)

If the issue is to do with inactive members, it's something all
volunteer projects need to tackle. As long as the number of active
members is more than inactive ones, or even sufficient to handle QA
tasks properly, the inactive ones can just be left alone. Mods can prune
them out when they have nothing else to do.

If the issue is some shortcoming in the design of FAS or how the project
is structured, I'd be most interested in listening to it at the right
channels: infra probably?

> JOHANN'S SOLUTION:  None given yet, that I can determine, just doesn't
> like Adam's.
>
> OTHER SOLUTIONS PROPOSED: Haven't read any other solutions proposed.
>
> If that wraps things up, lets either propose an alternative to Adam's
> idea or move forward with Adams.  Reading 20 emails on this problem is
> enough.

+1 to Adam's proposal. I see no "game" here. Let's not turn Adam into
Moriarty ;)
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,