Proposal: let's just use the FAS group already

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Dec 17 05:06:01 UTC 2013

On Dec 16, 2013 1:23 PM, "Adam Williamson" <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi, folks. So this one keeps popping up for individual people, and we
> keep doing a quick band-aid when anyone needs group membership...but we
> may as well just bite the bullet and do it properly.
>
> Fedora QA has always been pretty informally organized, we've generally
> not wanted to build a big heavy organizational structure with
> hierarchies and bits of paper to sign and stuff. One facet of this is
> that we don't really have an 'official' Fedora QA FAS group. There is a
> 'qa' group in FAS, but it has very few members, and we haven't ever
> worked on the assumption that the people in it are the 'real' QA people
> or anything.
>
> For our purposes we don't really have any incredible need for a QA group
> in FAS, but there are some things in Fedora which require you to be a
> member of a FAS group besides cla_signed - voting in some elections, for
> instance, and getting a fedorapeople.org space. It seems unfortunate
> that QA contributors don't get these things unless they get themselves
> added to another group.
>
> So I'm proposing we do something simple: let's just go ahead and stick
> everyone who can reasonably be considered a 'QA team member' in the FAS
> 'qa' group. This wouldn't be hard to do, I can make sure sufficient
> people within and outside RH have moderator status in the qa group, and
> then those of us who are mods can just add people appropriately. Anyone
> who files karma regularly, or validation test results, or posts to
> test@, or attends QA team meetings, anything like that - let's just
> stick 'em in QA group, and then for the future we can just say
> 'moderators can give anyone who's obviously a QA person membership in
> the QA group at any time, and when someone sends a self-introduction
> mail and doesn't completely disappear, the QA group mods should stick
> that person in the group'.
>
> How does that sound? Seems like something we can just get done already.
>
> Right now me, James Laska, Will Woods and Jesse Keating are the admins
> of the QA group. This is obviously a bit silly. I'll drop jlaska's,
> wwoods' and jesses' admin roles, and make some more appropriate people
> admins and moderators instead. I'll do that right now, since it's
> clearly the right thing to do...
> --
> Adam Williamson

Hi, random outside-ish perspective here:

I semi-regularly do something like "/msg zodbot fasinfo johannbg", to
locate an email address, check time zone, pair with a name and face,
whatever.  I appreciate that FAS groups give me an idea of someone's area
of contribution, even if I don't know the degree or the privileges allowed
to members of a given group.  These things help the communicate
effectively, and I was surprised when I learned from this mail that the
'QA' group was disused.

--Pete