fedup f19-f20 success (sort of)

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 01:42:03 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 16:45 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>> >
>> > It should show a graphical bootsplash with a progress bar on tty1, and
>> > if you hit esc, a text boot screen with more detailed info.
>>
>> I run into an experience similar to Neal's when trying a f17->f19 fedup
>> upgrade.  A splash screen, no progress bar of any kind, no reaction to
>> whatever one is trying on a keyboard.  A drive light was flickering from
>> time to time, though, so I left it sit for a looong time before
>> eventually rebooting with a help of a power switch.  From a timestamp
>> on a new initramfs it was good that I was really patient. :-)  An automatic
>> reboot was supposed to happen according to logs but reality was
>> different.
>
> F17's fedup was much more primitive code, the progress stuff wasn't
> implemented till later.
>
>> OTOH the whole upgrade was eventually performed and this was still
>> a "very early fedup" (but run actually so late that results were likely
>> not that interesting) so I did not bother anybody with this mixed
>> impressions.
>>
>> > sounds like somehow that didn't work for you?
>>
>> Difficult to say what as afterwards everything looked "normal".
>>
>>    Michal

There was a graphical bootsplash with a progress bar - but it appearted to be
frozen for a very long time.

Hit esc and a text boot screen was there, but appeared to be frozen for a very
long time.  Sure looked like it was just stuck.

The drive light did not flicker as long as I was looking.  I guess it eventually
did something once I walked away and went to lunch, because when I came back
f20 was booted up just fine.