Recommended system requirements for f20 not sufficient?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 19:03:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 15:03 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi,
> i just booted the live iso in a VM with 1G of memory and after I start
> "Software" the VM locks up completely after a few seconds. Having "top"
> open while starting "Software" shows very little free/cached RAM left
> over before the system dies so I upped the RAM of the VM to 2G and with
> that the problem disappears.
>
> It looks like the 1G of RAM recommended on http://fedoraproject.org/
> really aren't sufficient to run the basic stuff and this should be
> updated to probably 1.5-2G RAM or at least 1G RAM + some swap.

Well, I did some testing during F20 cycle which seems to indicate F20
Shell takes up a lot more memory than F19 when using llvmpipe. We're not
sure exactly what's going on yet, I need to find time to circle back and
investigate, but I suspect '1GB in a VM' and '1GB on metal' will be
somewhat different experiences. 1GB is getting a bit thin for the
default desktop with the current typical requirements of GNOME, FF and
LO, though, yeah.