Proposed validation test case: root on LVM thinp

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 13:43:19 UTC 2013

> > I wrote
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_anaconda_lvmthinp_rootfs ,
> > and I propose we add it to the installation validation matrix for F21
>
> I am concerned by this sentence:
> "Proceed with installation, leaving all other settings at default where
> possible, using sensible values for anything you must select or fill in "
>
> When I do these kind of test cases (file systems), I usually choose minimal
> install, because it's fastest and the installed package set doesn't really
> matter. The installer needs not to crash and the system needs to boot,
> that's it. I also combine it with other appropriate test cases, like nfs
> repo and vnc or similar.
>
> If we include requirements like this, we will have a bit higher certainty
> that everything worked correctly and no other choices interfered, but we
> will be much less productive. And anaconda test cases drain 90% of our time
> already.
>
> I think that as long as we execute these test cases manually, combining
> multiple test cases in a single pass (or picking non-default but fastest
> methods l

(Damn Ctrl+Enter)

I think that as long as we execute these test cases manually, combining multiple test cases in a single pass (or picking non-default but fastest methods like minimal install) is a necessary evil. Once we do it via automation, we can of course try to keep all different variables separated and execute hundreds and hundreds of test runs to cover possible combination. (That will also hit its limit, btw. But adding processing power is easier than adding people.)