xserver fails to resume from suspend (f20)

Dan Mossor dan.mossor at outlook.com
Sat Dec 21 05:31:20 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 06:09 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:

>>> I have a cursor I can move.  Didn't notice it change shape - I'll check next
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Don't quite understand the 2nd phenomenon you're describing.  Is this when
>>> it's
>>> locked up on resume that you see this?  Or just any time you switch VTs?
>>> Don't quite understand how you triggered it - all I have to do is open the
>>> laptop lid and I'm looking at a bootsplash and have to kill xserver.
>>
>> Just switching VTs with no suspend involved seems to trigger it here,
>> now. I don't get much in the system logs, though. I'll have to
>> investigate with drm.debug , see if it's a nouveau issue.
>
> Remember I first saw this with nvidia blob - so it's not a nouveau issue.
>
> Here is another strange data point.
>
> It seems to happen 100% of the time when I close laptop and transport to/from
> work.  But last night tested 3 times close - wait till light is flashing
> indicating sleep, then open - and no failures.
>
> Then closed it for the night and checked in the morning.  It had failed.
>
> So strange as it may seem - it appears that it has to be shut for more than a
> short time to fail.

When I was on F20, I was experiencing this with nouveau. Switching to
the nvidia blob fixed that and many other video related issues (with KDE
- gnome is perpetually broken). I was never able to track down a reason
for that because I wasn't ready to become a tester yet when this problem
first occurred.

However, I am now using F21 and nouveau, and the problem is back. And
yet, mine is still slightly different from both of the other cases - my
system is 90% unresponsive. I say 90% because I can ssh into it, but it
takes forever to authenticate and run any commands. The pipe eventually
breaks and kicks me out. If I can manage to get in again (which is rare)
I can try to reboot it from command line, but more often than not I have
to do a hard shutdown since the system is unresponsive, even to the
power button being pushed. The screen itself - whether the laptop screen
or an external monitor connected via HDMI - never activates.

Upon rebooting today, though. ABRT had caught a race condition on CPU2,
tied directly to nouveau and drm. I am currently working through those
two ABRT bugs and will attach them to bz 1044304 because my gut feeling
at this point is that it is tied together through the unknown opcode
error, and is a much farther-reaching problem than I first thought.

--
Dan Mossor
Systems Engineer at Large