bug 1006304 - Re: Many attempts to install f20 today

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 31 17:49:38 UTC 2013

Trimmed to lastest attempt.

On 12/27/2013 01:54 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 08:42 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Thanks for responding.  Trimed down to things to reply to...

>>> It's probably re-using the existing VG rather than blowing it away and
>>> creating a new one, the '19' rather suggests that.
>> On a new, empty, SSD drive from Crucial or a old drive that had f17 on
>> it?  Never installed f19 here.  I think the disk druid developers need
>> to search their code for some label they did not change.
> If there is one, it's not particularly obvious...
>
> [adamw at adam anaconda (f20-branch %)]$ grep -R fedora_19 *
> [adamw at adam anaconda (f20-branch %)]$ grep -R vgname *
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:        vgname = ksdata.onPart.get(self.vgname,
> self.vgname)
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:        vg = devicetree.getDeviceByName(vgname)
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:            raise
> KickstartValueError(formatErrorMsg(self.lineno, msg="No volume group
> exists with the name \"%s\".  Specify volume groups before logical
> volumes." % self.vgname))
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:            if not self.vgname:
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:            dev =
> devicetree.getDeviceByName(self.vgname)
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:                raise
> KickstartValueError(formatErrorMsg(self.lineno, msg="No preexisting VG
> with the name \"%s\" was found." % self.vgname))
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:        elif self.vgname in (vg.name for vg in
> storage.vgs):
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:            raise
> KickstartValueError(formatErrorMsg(self.lineno, msg="The volume group
> name \"%s\" is already in use." % self.vgname))
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:
> name=self.vgname,
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:            ksdata.onPart[self.vgname] =
> request.name
> [adamw at adam anaconda (f20-branch %)]$ grep -R request.name *
> pyanaconda/kickstart.py:            ksdata.onPart[self.vgname] =
> request.name
>
> probably in there somewhere, but meh. Again, doesn't seem
> burning-down-the-house serious, but worth filing a bug on, sure.

Probably built from a couple variables, but not important, as you said.
Until it shows up again in f21!

But on to the real problem.

>>> It is absolutely impossible to tell without at least program.log. It's
>>> kind of annoying that all cases of bootloader install failing on UEFI
>>> install keep getting written off as dupes of 1006304, because when
>>> they're marked as dupes we don't get logs, and there's just no way to
>>> know what's going on. I've posted a couple of comments asking if
>>> anaconda and libreport devs can figure that out, but nothing doing yet.
>>>
>>> If you have a copy of program.log (and ideally all the other logs...)
>>> from one of those failures, we could try and figure it out.
>> Instructions on generating (or capturing) the logs?
> They're in /tmp while the installation is running, you can scp or fpaste
> or copy-to-a-USB-stick them out from there.

You will find all the contents of /tmp from the latest bug 1006304 at:

http://medon.htt-consult.com/~rgm/logs/

Let me know when you have them and I will take them down.