F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Fri Feb 1 18:44:51 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 09:11 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> If you have 'nomodeset' on the cmdline, you must have either set it
> yourself, or installed Fedora in 'Basic Graphics Mode', which causes
> this to happen.

The latter might have happened - I had various problems first copying
my SSD to a new larger one, unexpectedly trashing grub when doing some
partition re-arranging, and having to install F15 (! - the most recent
CD I could find in a hurry) so I could boot and then download and
burn F18.

Though it seems a bug to set the installed default mode line to
nomodeset based on whether one boots up the live DVD in basic graphics
mode. Better to install the settings appropriate for the hardware
*plus* some kind of "safe mode" in the grub menu.
--
	--Per Bothner