F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 2 21:38:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-02 14:01 (GMT-0700) Chris Murphy composed:

> On Feb 2, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

>> No. User has selected basic graphics mode for Anaconda to use.Anaconda
>> could follow up with the extra stanza in the bootloader config file it
>> configures for booting the installed system.

> OK so you're saying when the user chooses, from the ISOLINUX based menu:
> Troubleshooting > Install Fedora in basic graphics mode, that somehow
> anaconda knows this was selected. As far as I know, the only preservation
> of this selection that anaconda has access to is 'cat /proc/cmdline' to
> reveal 'nomodeset quiet' was chosen. But in such case you want
> grub2-mkconfig to contain another entry (ala Recovery Mode entries).

> Anaconda doesn't create the grub.cfg, fyi. It directly calls
> grub2-mkconfig to create it. So the feature you need would be anaconda
> getting and parsing /proc/cmdline/ and then feeding an option to
> grub2-mkconfig, possibly via /etc/default/grub.

Something must be looking at /proc/cmdline already or the installed grub.cfg
wouldn't be including nomodeset in the default stanza.

>  So the feature ultimately
> is both an anaconda and grub2 request.

Presumably mkconfig is using a default /etc/default/grub (<512 bytes). After
finding nomodeset in /proc/cmdline, Anaconda could specify mkconfig use an
alternate such file or perform some other magic to get the extra stanza
included, maybe an /etc/grub.d/49_nomodeset.

> (Honestly it would be helpful if the basic graphics mode selection deleted
> quiet. The option is being chosen to deal with video related problems on
> boot, seeing as much information as possible on screen the better.)

+1

Quiet is never in any of my Grub stanzas after firstboot.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/