CPU Temperature Indicator

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 2 23:01:23 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 12:39 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> On 02/02/2013 12:24 PM, Lawrence Graves wrote:
> > There is an error with the cpu temperature indicator in Fedora 18. Is
> > anyone or has anyone experienced this problem and if so please give some
> > advice on how to fix. Thanks
>
> My laptop keeps shutting down, so I haven't been able to
> run F18 for more than a short while at a time.  My guess
> is either overheating or a misread temperature indicator.

The OS is not involved in over-temp shutdown logic. It happens at the
ACPI level. The firmware lets the kernel know, so you can at least see a
message in your /var/log/messages to let you know that you hit the
thermal cutoff, but the logic to trigger the shutdown is in the
firmware, not in the OS. You should be able to tell
from /var/log/messages if you're hitting thermal cutoff, just look for a
message about critical temperature threshold exceeded (or something
roughly like that) around the time of the shutdown.