F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 3 00:01:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-02 16:20 (GMT-0700) Chris Murphy composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Something must be looking at /proc/cmdline already or the installed
>> grub.cfg wouldn't be including nomodeset in the default stanza.

> ?

> OK forgive me for not paying attention if this has been said, but I'm not
> understanding if this is a feature request or a behavior complaint. Does
> the grub.cfg in question contain nomodeset? Or you want it to include
> nomodeset?

My first response to thread, subsequent to time OP provided access to
Xorg.0.log.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-February/113591.html

>>> So the feature ultimately is both an anaconda and grub2 request.

>> Presumably mkconfig is using a default /etc/default/grub (<512 bytes).

> There is a minimal /etc/default/grub as part of the grub2 package. But
> anaconda (or maybe lorax?) is writing more into that file during the
> installation, specifically the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= line. This modification
> is made before anaconda calls grub2-mkconfig.

Almost perfect. So if Anaconda sees itself putting nomodeset into
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, nomodeset inclusion should be aborted, and a generic
/etc/grub.d/49_nomodeset be enabled that actually contains it. Or some
equivalent process that provides a conventional stanza plus at least one
nomodeset stanza. Just don't put nomodeset in every stanza unless lspci |
grep VGA finds a string that means KMS is incompatible with a required X
driver included in the release.

The way I understand GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX dox,
the roles are reversed from what's needed. I can imagine several cmdline
parameters that should only be in one or the other and not both, one of which
is nomodeset.

>> After finding nomodeset in /proc/cmdline, Anaconda could specify
>> mkconfig use an alternate such file or perform some other magic to get
>> the extra stanza included, maybe an /etc/grub.d/49_nomodeset.

> Requires anaconda be much more capable of creating grub2 grub.cfg entries
> than it presently is; as it defers to grub2-mkconfig to do this sort of
> thing.

I thought I was being clear enough. Anaconda must have already known cmdline
contained nomodeset or it it wouldn't have caused its inclusion in the
installed grub.cfg, however that was implemented within Anaconda.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/