F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Feb 3 01:17:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 18:05 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > I thought I was being clear enough. Anaconda must have already known
> cmdline contained nomodeset or it it wouldn't have caused its
> inclusion in the installed grub.cfg, however that was implemented
> within Anaconda.
>
> I've read nothing that conclusively demonstrates anaconda presently
> behaves this way now.

C'mon, it's not THAT hard.

[adamw at adam anaconda (master %)]$ grep -R nomodeset *
anaconda.spec.in:- I don't need to pass "nomodeset" to stage2 after all. (clumens)
anaconda.spec.in:- Make sure "nomodeset" and "xdriver=" get passed on to stage2 (#623129).
pyanaconda/bootloader.py:                            "nompath", "nomodeset", "noiswmd", "fips",

oh hey, pyanaconda/bootloader.py, huh?

*open pyanaconda/bootloader.py*
*search for nomodeset*

    # this is so stupid...
    global_preserve_args = ["speakup_synth", "apic", "noapic", "apm", "ide",
                            "noht", "acpi", "video", "pci", "nodmraid",
                            "nompath", "nomodeset", "noiswmd", "fips",
                            "selinux"]

oh hey, 'global_preserve_args', well that looks nice and easy to search
for. So, let's search for it!

        #
        # preservation of some of our boot args
        # FIXME: this is stupid.
        #
        for opt in self.global_preserve_args + self.preserve_args:
            if opt not in flags.cmdline:
                continue

            arg = flags.cmdline.get(opt)
            new_arg = opt
            if arg:
                new_arg += "=%s" % arg

            self.boot_args.add(new_arg)

and then we search for boot_args, and after a few other places it gets
set, we see:

        log.info("bootloader.py: used boot args: %s " % self.boot_args)
        defaults.write("GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=\"%s\"\n" % self.boot_args)
        defaults.write("GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=\"true\"\n")
        defaults.write("GRUB_THEME=\"/boot/grub2/themes/system/theme.txt\"\n")
        defaults.close()

and there you go. and that took me all of two minutes. it ain't rocket
science, guys!