F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 16:01:39 UTC 2013

> Just dropping 'nomodeset' from the cmdline should probably do the job.
> It's actually also supposed to write an xorg.conf snippet which forces
> use of the vesa driver, but I believe that mechanism's been broken for a
> while, so you only have to kill 'nomodeset' and it should bounce back to
> normal.

It had done so, historically.  Part of the reason it doesn't anymore is
that asking for vesa is wrong on efifb.  It's better to just let the KMS
X driver decide it won't work and fall back to whichever of vesa or
fbdev is appropriate.

---

If I can abuse this thread for design discussion for a moment, what if
instead of the grub editor horrorshow for things like this, we had a
list of debugging tickboxes you could check that appended the right
thing to kcmdline (and just remember the defaults for them across
boots).  That way you're not writing two boot stanzas for every kernel,
and it's more obvious that:

[X] Disable accelerated graphics

is something you should just uncheck.

- ajax