F18 beta experience under VM

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Feb 4 20:46:57 UTC 2013

On Feb 4, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I'm not understanding the problem in the bug.
>
> The "Date/Time" setting is required by anaconda before package
> installation may begin. I wanted to make this an optional setting. In
> order for it to be optional the date/time must be set to something
> reasonable from a trusted source.

Then, to answer the original question, the proper component to flag for the RFE is anaconda. But I'm now finding an additional bug/RFE for chronyd because it's clearly not syncing down correct system time to the hardware clock.

>> Chronyd should, and as far as I know does, update both the system clock and hardware clock once (on startup), when it has internet access to get a time sync from a server. If chronyd doesn't have network access, then simply it's up to the user to set the date/time. If there isn't a trusted time source, the hardware clock shouldn't be touched by software via assumption.
>
> If there is no network access, then yes, the hardware clock doesn't have
> to be modified. If the user's BIOS is set to 1/1/1970 some package
> install features may not work. We should be able to use a burned in
> date/time in the ISO as a trusted source if there is no network access.

This would be an anaconda feature. And it's debatable if this should be restricted to anaconda setting a minimum valid system time, or if it should also sync it down to the hardware clock. I'd kind be surprised if they wanted to do the latter, even if they'd consider the former.

Chris Murphy