newer kernels can't see \ HDMI

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Thu Feb 14 01:10:59 UTC 2013

[again somewhat off-topic.]

I have 60" Mitsubishi TV connected to the HDMI output of
a home-brew box running MythTV on Fedora 17.  I have not been
able to do any updates lately for fear of losing the one
kernel that can see the Mitsubishi.

When I boot into 3.5.3-1, it works - I get the Fedora (Gnome)
desktop on my TV connected to the HDMI output.

When I boot into 3.6.10-2, it doesn't see the TV.  I can hook
up a smaller monitor to the VGA output, and that works.  When
I start System Settings / Display -> Detect Monitors it only
detects the VGA monitor.

The two cases are otherwise the same - the difference is just
kernel I select in the Grub screen.  I don't dare to update
Fedora (at least not the kernel), because then I'll lose the
one working kernel.

I also booted up the F18 Live disk (KDE).  Same deal: I get a
desktop on the VGA monitor, but nothing on the TV.

Also, the newer kernels don't seem to detect the correct
resolutions on the (admittedly old) VGA monitor.

I also tried replacing with TV with 27" monitor, also
connected to HDMI - same result: 3.5.3-1; 3.6.10-2 doesn't.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  I do have Xorg.0.log
and /var/log/messages copied from a non-working setup.
--
	--Per Bothner