Introduction to QA

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 23 18:30:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 05:01 -0400, Francis Martin wrote:
> Hello everyone, (a French message will follow)
>

> My name is Francis Martin and my name might sound familliar to some
> here who might have seen my post earlier this week on #fedora-join
> mailing list where I was asking a frequent question that poeple hear
> all the time : « where do I start? ».
>

> So I've got a really good answer from Ankur with some really useful
> links where I fell in love with the possibility to help with the QA
> side of things. I have a spare system at home and would like to get
> started ASAP on rawhide testing knowing the F19-alpha isnt far from us
> on the 12th of March.
>

> If somebody would like to get in touch with me to discuss some bugs or
> anything please let me know as I am really eager to commit to this. I
> usually hang out in the following IRCs :
>

> by priority:
>

> 1-#fedora-devel-fr
>
> 2-#fedora-join
>
> 3-#fedora-meeting
>
> 4-#fedora-qa
>
> 5-#fedora-test-day
>

> My IRC info is : Justiceh
>
> so please feel free to message me. I'm looking forward to hearing from
> any of you and have a nice day.

Hi Francis, and welcome! It'll be great to have another person testing
Rawhide. Do let us know if you have any trouble getting set up or any
questions about any issues you encounter. Just one pointer: dependency
issues are fairly common when running Rawhide and usually not worth
making noise about unless they persist for a few days. There is a daily
mail to the devel@ list with the subject "rawhide report: <date>
changes", which includes a list of detected dependency issues within the
rawhide packages, and the developers pay a lot of attention to it, so
issues usually get resolved quite quickly. If you notice an ongoing
problem, though, it may be worth bringing up: first check the devel@
archives and see if there's an existing discussion, though, as it might
be that the problem is hard or complex to solve and people are arguing
about it :)

One personal recommendation I have about running Rawhide is to try and
be a bit flexible in your workflow - it's useful to have a backup
desktop installed (I keep LXDE installed on my system) and to be able to
switch between mail clients, web browsers etc. That way if a big bug
shows up in your 'normal' mail client you can switch to your backup
until it's resolved. It makes Rawhide life more livable :)

Welcome again, and thanks!