gnome-shell segfaults in @updates-testing/F18

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 08:04:12 UTC 2013

On 25/02/13 09:35 AM, Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> Okay,
>
> So this is really related to the shared-mime-info update from 1.0.x to
> 1.1. Once you downgrade it or reinstall it the issue disappears and
> you can't reproduce this.

Well, if a *reinstall* fixes it, that rather suggests things are more
complicated; it implies there isn't actually a problem in the
shared-mime-info code, after all.

I'd hazard a guess that there's a bad command in the scripts for some
other package, and reinstalling shared-mime-info triggers *its* scripts,
which fix up the error.

It seems shared-mime-info has a %post script which does this:

/usr/bin/update-mime-database /usr/share/mime &> /dev/null

does simply running that (as root) also resolve the problem?