Installing F18 Beta on Dell XPX 15z

Chandana De Silva chandana at desilva.id.au
Tue Jan 1 11:23:53 UTC 2013

Hello All,

I am trying to install Fedora 18 Beta x86+64 on my Dell XPS 15z, and
would appreciate any help.

I am running this laptop on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. This needs the following
parameters on the 3.2.34 and later kernels to make the screen work:
*acpi_backlight=vendor dell_laptop.backlight=0*

On earlier kernels, it was solved with;
*acpi=noirq*

The default installation does of Fedora `8 not work, it displays a
noveau error message and hangs.

*nouveau 0000:01:00.0: 0xD581: i2c wr fail: -6*

It went  beyond this just once (not sure how/why), and failed with the
following;

*no medium found on /dev/sr0**
**dracut: FAIL : Failed to mount block device of live image*

Questions
---------
How do I get to edit the kernel parameters at install time, so that I
can try the acpi switches ?
Do I need to give additional kernel parameters for dracut to read the DVD ?
Also, has any one successfully installed F18 on the Dell XPS 15z ?