Fedora 18 issues with translations and keymaps

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 18:38:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 10:24 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> The fact that bengali is 33% done being translated does jump out at me
> a bit, as does chinese defaulting to the US keyboard.  These are not
> insignificant populations.

It's been pointed out that we didn't offer a Chinese console layout in
F17 at all. Chinese (all CJK-ish languages) input is kind of impractical
in a non-graphical context anyway; you fundamentally can't input a
language with 10,000+ glyphs on a 105 key keyboard without some kind of
graphical interpolation between 'press a key' and 'character appears'. I
_think_ Chinese users are probably used to using English at the console,
I don't think people actually work in Chinese with Chinese user names on
the console, it just really wouldn't fly. So Chinese isn't actually as
big of a sore thumb on that list as it looks. In fact, we probably do
slightly better for Chinese input in F18 than we did in F17.