critera proposal/discussion: boot.fedoraproject.org

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Fri Jan 11 12:44:31 UTC 2013

People,

On 2013-01-11 23:06, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I thought I would see if there's any interest in adding a critera /
>> tests for boot.fedoraproject.org and adding it as a supported/tested
>> install method for f19.
>>
>> I think it's pretty nifty and could be more used if we tested it to
>> make sure it works and advertised it a bit more.
>>
>> I'd imagine it would be similar to PXE tests though you wouldn't
>> need
>> local pxe server. Each of the various images would need to be
>> tested.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> We can create an optional test case for that.
>
> Do you think this is something we should block our release on (i.e.
> creating a release criteria for it)?
>
> I tried BFO a few times and I've found it heavily outdated every time
> (including today) so I wasn't particularly thrilled about it.
>
> Also, I'm not fully sure who should benefit from it. If you need to
> install Fedora, you do it once in a long time, and there's no problem
> to download ISO and boot it. If you install Fedora often (e.g. you're
> QA), booting from the Internet every time is a no-go, not until it's
> as fast as your USB flash drive.

I would like a "BFO-Lite" install ie something small, light and fast to
install a minimal system with sshd (not even X or at least just
xdm+twm).  I currently install (usually) from a Live CD/USB but it would
be nice to have something that didn't need repeated downloading.

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades