unable to fully boot after deleting home partition

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jan 13 09:29:51 UTC 2013

Normally I prefer not to have a separate home partition, but forgot to delete it
during F18 installation. I used the following procedure to get rid of it and
give the space back to the root partition, while preserving the contents of
/home:

cd /
tar cvf home.tar home
umount home
lvremove /dev/mapper/fedora-home
lvextend -l +100FREE /dev/mapper/fedora-root
resize2fs /dev/mapper/fedora-root
tar xvf home.tar

After this, the contents of /home are back in place, and the output of
vgdisplay, lvdisplay, and fdisk -l look normal. But after rebooting, I get

[  OK  ] Started monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or
progress polling.
Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-fedora\x2dhome.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /home.

and a few more errors and then am dropped to an emergency prompt. Obviously
something on my system thinks the home partition still exists, but I can't find
it. What did I do wrong? Or is this a bug?