Bad memory

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Jan 17 17:18:40 UTC 2013

Recently I discovered the motherboard that had been running omen.com
had an undetected bad memory chip.   This is a real confidence builder.

Currently, running a definitive memory test requires hours of down time.
The user mode memory tester has serious limitations.

I propose kernel support for a user mode program similar to memtest86
to allow such a program to request a hardware block of memory and
relocate whatever was in that block to another memory area.  This way
all of the memory can be checked in the background of a running system.

"A stitch in time saves nine."

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com