Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 15:20:47 UTC 2013

Dne St 23. ledna 2013 09:45:28, Fernando Cassia napsal(a):
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
wrote:
> > Yeah, 'all the compatibility testing' is something of a vague idea to
> > pin down :)
>
> Why can´t Fedora ship both? let users decide whether to use MySQL
> Community edition or MariaDB.

because resources are limited

do you volunteer to maintain and test MySQL?

> For MariaDB supporters, it´d be a big win "Fedora adds MariaDB to its
> repos". However I suspect the objective is to get headlines like "Fedora
> drops MySQL for MariaDB" which has other, more political, implications.

too wild imaginations ...

please, try taking a look at the informations available about some CVEs, for
example
then try to step in the shoes of the package maintainer and tell us what would
*you* do

you really think that such decisions are driven by the newspaper headlines
which will be forgotten the next day after being published?

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team