Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 09:34:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 05:58 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > because resources are limited
>
> I´ll have to trust your word.
>
> > do you volunteer to maintain and test MySQL?
>
> If I find a volunteer, will you continue shipping it?.
>
> I smell a proxy war against Oracle for their Oracle Linux efforts,
> totally politically motivated and with dubious technical reasons. But
> hey, that´s just me.

I quote from the feature page:

"Recent changes made by Oracle indicate they are moving the MySQL
project to be more closed. They are no longer publishing any useful
information about security issues (CVEs), and they are not providing
complete regression tests any more, and a very large fraction of the
mysql bug database is now not public."

Do you dispute the truth of any of these statements? If you accept them
as truthful, do you consider them insignificant? If so, why?