Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 24 19:42:42 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 09:58 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
[snip]
>> do you volunteer to maintain and test MySQL?
>
> If I find a volunteer, will you continue shipping it?.

It's not a question of shipping. Just find a packager who will maintain
the MySQL RPM and makes sure it's updated via Koji etc. And if there is
nobody to do your bidding then just maintain it yourself or download it
from the Oracle website.

> I smell a proxy war against Oracle for their Oracle Linux efforts,
> totally politically motivated and with dubious technical reasons. But
> hey, that´s just me.

You always jump in Oracle's defense when someone sticks it to them and
get all wound up about it. Dubious technical reasons? How about Karel
Volny's reply mentioning one of Oracle's bug descriptions: "Unspecified
vulnerability in the Server component in Oracle MySQL 5.1.66 and
earlier, and 5.5.28 and earlier, allows remote authenticated users to
affect availability via unknown vectors related to Information Schema."
That's quite a gem and definitely a solid technical reason to switch to
MariaDB because of its Open development process.

How is *not* having the patch for a security bug in MySQL not a good
reason to switch? How is the lack of transparency in the development
process not a good reason to switch?

Maybe you read about how Oracle fixed that dangerous Java bug the other
day which they did not fix correctly? How is a proper fix done right the
first time not a good reason to switch? Transparency allows many
eyeballs and given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.

Another technical reason: an Open development process results in less
bugs: http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/03/Defects-Open-Source-Commercial

[snipped theatrical statements]

Regards,
Patrick