Proposal: retire proventesters and bugzappers onboarding processes harder, create new QA onboarding process

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:31:16 UTC 2013

On 01/25/2013 03:36 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 08:34 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>>> So it'd be nice to kill those processes a bit harder: I don't have all
>>> the specific changes drafted up yet, but my idea would be to actually
>>> hide the text on the proventesters and BZ pages that describes the
>>> 'joining' processes. When we first hibernated the PT process we kinda
>>> thought it might come back again soon, but that doesn't seem to be
>>> happening, so let's do it a bit harder now.
>> Remove it altogether both of these are failed processes that should just
>> be flagged under tried and tested.
> I still think PT could potentially be useful when we get Bodhi 2.0, so
> I'm kinda reluctant to lose it entirely. So far as BZ goes personally
> I'd be happy to drop it if we merged it into QA as you propose, but we
> should do that first...

Why do you think we will have more "proven testers"/participation when
bodhi 2.0 arrives?

>>> They would leave a bit of a gap behind, though - it is quite nice to
>>> hear from people when they join up, and while we previously decided not
>>> to use the QA FAS group because we didn't really have any tasks that
>>> needed special privileges, someone pointed out at FUDCon that there are
>>> some things within Fedora which require membership of a FAS group, like
>>> voting in certain elections.
>> Really who proposed that?
> I don't recall. It wasn't really a proposal, just a side note on
> something else - one of those things that whizzes by that you happen to
> file away.
>>> So I think it might be nice if we created a
>>> generic QA 'onboarding' process - much like those two, where you just
>>> send a mail to the list saying 'hi, I'd like to join' and we say
>>> 'welcome!' and add you to the QA FAS group and send you a little
>>> introductory mail. We could probably give editbugs privs to people in QA
>>> and add all current members of bugzappers/proventesters into the qa
>>> group.
>> I dont know if you had been hired at the time when we decided to put
>> down that group in the first place but we dis so for a reason so where
>> can I find that discussion so I can see if something new has been
>> brought to the table in that regard, which justifies it to be
>> resurrected again?
> Heh - Tim and I both had a vague feeling there was some specific reason
> we couldn't use the 'qa' group but we just couldn't think of anything
> concrete, and I mailed jlaska to ask him and he couldn't remember
> either. Sounds like you have the same feeling. I don't have a magic
> record of discussions, sadly - when I'm trying to find anything I just
> search the list archives in Evo or mailman and the meeting archives with
> Google, that's all I got. If you were involved in the last discussion,
> you'd probably have better luck searching the archives than me, since
> you know what you're looking for. I'd be interested to read this too, if
> you can find it.

I dont recall if James had moved internally within Red Hat to Fedora QA
at that groups time and was ever part of that group at least it was me
Jesse, Jeremy and Will Woods and maybe John Poelstra and Jon Stanley so
you have better luck contacting one Red Hat employee further back ( Will
Woods ) and ask him.

I'll see if I dont have the mailinglist archives on backup from that
time stored somewhere and look through just to confirm what I already know.

And if you are going to reactivate QA group then I want full admin
privileges on that along with at least one or two other non RH persons
here from the community.

JBG