boot.iso vs netinst.iso vs efiboot.img

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Sat Jan 26 17:30:26 UTC 2013

> dd is recommended dead last, really?

Under some conditions, livecd-iso-to-disk can be a lot faster because it uses rsync
to update an existing Packages directory.  So if you have a USB stick of full install
for RC1, then running livecd-iso-to-disk using RC2.iso will transfer only updated
files below Packages [plus other files not below Packages].

Using 'dd' requires a USB stick that is "dedicated" to that single use,
while the results of livecd-iso-to-disk can co-exist with other files
on the USB stick.  In the case of LiveCD spins, this is essential
in order to make a system with persistent user data.

I have not had problems using livecd-iso-to-disk with full install .iso files.
The only hassles are when I switch between i386 and x86_64, or between
UEFI and non-UEFI systems, both of which work better for me with a re-format.