netinst.iso poor experience

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:17:49 UTC 2013

I tried an install of f18 on a new bare metal machine today.  My 1st try was
netinst.iso.

It sat 'installing' for well over an hour, giving _no feedback at all_ as to
what it was doing.  I can only guess it was d/l stuff from an overloaded mirror.

I checked periodically, and saw anaconda was using some cpu (5%), so it wasn't
just stuck, and there seemed to be network activity.

That's a pretty poor user experience.

While waiting, I d/l the DVD (which is much more than what netinst should have
been d/l'ing), burned the dvd, and started the install over.  Finished the 2nd
attempt OK.